SHANGHAI, Apr 7 (SMM) – Nickel mining in Surigao del Norte province, the Philippines has yet to resume, SMM learned, even as a large local miner said Monday its two units in the region will resume ore shipments.
In Surigao del Norte, which holds the Philippines' biggest nickel mines, measures to contain the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic are set to be ramped up after the first case was confirmed on Tuesday.
Nickel Asia Corp NIKL.PS, the Philippines' largest nickel ore miner and exporter, said on Monday its two units in Surigao del Norte province will resume ore shipments as the local government has allowed mining operations to resume, according to a Reuters report on the same day.
SMM learned from the agent of Nickel Asia that it is unlikely to be able to resume shipments before April 30. Mining operations in Surigao del Norte had been suspended from April 1 to prevent the coronavirus spreading.
The Philippines has extended a lockdown on Luzon island until the end of April, idling its economic engine and home to most of its population to counter the spread of coronavirus, the government said Tuesday. The quarantine that began in mid-March was set to end April 12.